Coronavirus Crisis Resource Center — Wisely Navigate The Pandemic
This page last updated 11/10/2020.
We are in a worldwide pandemic (with cascading economic effects) and this can be quite unsettling and paralyzing.
To give you hope and practical advice, I've put together this Coronavirus crisis resource center to help you personally and professionally adapt and respond to the unprecedented (in our lifetimes) event we all find ourselves within.
Coronavirus Crisis Status Update: Where We As A Country Stand
The Status Of Things -->
- 11/10/2020 - Where We Stand - Good Vaccine News for the United States and It's time to ramp up testing. Winning this battle is within reach if we take the right steps.
- 7/17/2020 - U.S. Sets New Daily Record With 71,000 Confirmed COVID Cases, Highest Deaths Since Late May
- 6/25/2020 - The coronavirus surge is real, and it's everywhere
- 5/23/2020 - Fate of Global Economy Rests More Than Ever on Finding Vaccine
- 5/21/2020 - Reopening reality check: Georgia's jobs aren’t flooding back
“We’ve been chasing a bit of a false narrative that the economic hit is about the restrictions and not the disease itself,” said Julia Coronado, president and founder of Macropolicy Perspectives, an economic research consulting firm. “The economic story really isn’t about lockdowns, and we’re going to make mistakes by pursuing that narrative. It really is about the disease, and how fearful people are about getting sick, and how businesses are going to operate in a world where this virus is with us.”
- 4/24/2020 - How things are, in a few short words
- 4/9/2020 - Read an update on where we as a country stand with the pandemic situation on Marginal Revolution here.
- 3/18/2020 - Explore the likely pandemic roller coaster ride we're about to go on.
The Severity Of The Situation
This pandemic is likely going to last a year or more. The costs will be high for human lives and the negative economic impact (there will be positive as well, especially in the long-term).
The Loss of Human LivesDue to the severity of the virus (although not yet as severe as past pandemics) and how easy it can spread, COVID-19 has had a negative effect on the health and lives of people. And it's not just deaths, but the number of issues and deaths that comes from the overwhelmed medical system.
The Economic Costs of The VirusAs our country and others have executed virus mitigation strategies, it's also caused a drastic economic downturn and financial cost. Unemployment illustrates this well. And, while many people suspect the economic downturn of shelter-in-place, it seems the culprit is the virus and the uncertainty it brings.
- Explore the number of deaths per million compared to other causes of deaths and read the associated article here.
- America’s Unemployment Numbers Are Stabilizing. That’s Not A Good Thing.
- The good news is that we don't need to worry about food. Special Podcast: Food security in a pandemic
- Will Covid-19 expose the ghost firms?
Don't Fall Into The Traps!
"Where the shamers would have us submit to a monopoly on knowledge, the debunkers would have us surrender to epistemic nihilism." Ari Schulman, The New Atlantis
The problem we must solve must address the many competing priorities of this complex situation (even as we often oversimplify it based on our biases). Sweden has not locked down, and yet their economy has been dramatically weakened on top of the much higher number of cases and deaths. There is no simple solution to this complex situation.
- If you find yourself on one side of the above cartoon, check out this discussion on Coronavirus crisis complexity and how we can wisely navigate this uncertain and quickly moving scenario.
- Science Shaming, Debunking, and Sound Judgment
- Politics Podcast: Can COVID-19 Conspiracy Theories Be Stopped?
Where Can We Find Hope?
"I never doubted not only that I would get out, but also that I would prevail in the end and turn the experience into the defining event of my life, which in retrospect, I would not trade... You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end — which you can never afford to lose — with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." - Admiral Jim Stockdale, Former Prisoner of War
- I explore both the brutal facts and the most important hope we can have in my personal survival guide to the Coronavirus crisis here.
- In my article published by Relevant Magazine, I talk about the inspirational example of Christians during pandemic Rome here.
- You can also explore my page dedicated to the ultimate hope I have, and the reasons for it here.
- I also recommend you check out this video series by Andy Stanley about the Messy Middle if you're seeking that same grounded hope.
"For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love. For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another." - Paul, the apostle - Galatians 5:13-15
How To Effectively Navigate This Crisis
- Personal Survival Guide: Get tips on how to stay safe and sanitized. Also, explore how to wisely manage money, earn extra income, and engage in the community (for giving and receiving help).
- Freelancing & Coronavirus: Check out my free webinar to learn how you can effectively respond, plan, and act through the crisis.
- Small Business Owners & Coronavirus: Check out my other free webinar for how entrepreneurs can navigate the crisis on all levels.
- Inspirational People Interviews: Check out my series of discussions as we explore how to wisely navigate crisis and uncertainty and emerge stronger because of it.
Understand Your Risk & What Increases or Minimizes It
- This helpful risk assessment tool lets you understand your risk at the state level based on the number of people you're meeting with or that will be where you're going.
- Social Distancing Is Not Enough - We will need a comprehensive strategy to reduce the sort of interactions that can lead to more infections.
- From Camping To Dining Out: Here's How Experts Rate The Risks Of 14 Summer Activities
Daily Situation Updates & Laughs
- Daily COVID-19 Crisis Related Article Sharing
- Click here to check out my recommended news sources.
- If you need a laugh, check out these threads, also updated regularly.
Daily Virus Tracking
- 91-Divoc: This tracking site favorite shows the curve by country and state and the data can be changed from cases, deaths, and tests.
- John Hopkins: World Map | USA Map | Critical Trends
- COVID Act Now: Want to understand when and how your county or state should respond going forward? Covid Act Now is the right site for you.
- RTLive: See effective virus reproduction numbers by state
- Check out this Symptom map to discover what's happening underneath the surface.
- For hospital capacity and tracking by country and state, this COVID-19 website is great.
My Coronavirus Crisis Related Content — Articles, Webinars, & Podcasts
I've put together the following resources that are related to the Coronavirus Crisis. I'll continue adding to the library as the pandemic unfolds.